To date the specialists of Graphene Institute have completed the assemblage and tuning of a semi-industrial type installation for production pure (99.6-99.8%) graphene. It consists of graphene plates or flakes with thickness of about 3 nm and lengthwise dimensions of 20-50 µm. The production capacity of this installation (up to hundred kilograms of graphene per month and more) should provide needs for this unique material in the coming years for both Russian researchers and consumers who use graphene additives in their technologies.
In the Graphene Institute scientific laboratories, research is being carried out on the use of high-strength concrete with graphene additives, graphene-reinforced asphalt, effective desalination of seawater using graphene films due to solar radiation. Electrically conductive graphene-filled paints and glues are being developed to create highly efficient energy-saving heating wall panels, warm floors, and also emulsions that significantly increase heat dissipation in various electronic devices.
Graphene Institute plans:
– Development and production of pilot installations for solar thermal power engineering (installations with solar steam generation; autonomous power sources).
– Development and production of pilot installations for solar technology for water desalination and purification.
– Development and creating of graphene anode materials for lithium-ion, potassium-ion and manganese-ion energy sources.
– Development and creating of energy efficient (with an efficiency 40-60% higher than existing ones) graphene heaters for industrial and domestic purposes.
– Development, creating and production of special graphene additives for various grades of concrete (increase in strength up to 40%, reduction the time of formation by half, creating layered concrete with electrically conductive layers for locally heating the room, etc.)
– Development and creating of broadband protection systems in the electromagnetic spectrum, including systems of “invisibility” in the infrared spectrum.
– Research and use of nanofluids in various areas of human life, for example, in heating systems, where at least 50% savings in gas or electricity is possible.
– Development of other products, including superhydrophobic surfaces, fire protection systems, water disinfection systems, systems for separation of oil products and the treatment of organic oils and water waste.
To solve these problems, we also plan to:
- carry out closer integration of research and pilot production;
- organize cooperation with industrial and research organizations both in Russia and abroad;
- organize testing of graphene materials (to research mechanical, electrophysical and thermophysical properties).
Management of the Graphene Institute sees one of its main tasks in attracting the attention of scientific teams, and most importantly, the leaders of our key industries, to the prospects for the development of graphene and products based on it in the interests of these industries. Also it is important to arise the interest of representatives of large Russian business, who could act as investors in the creation and use of this unique material of the future. Yet, we need at least initial financial investments from the state. And we still have talented scientists who can “promote” this field of activity in Russia.
The Graphene Institute is a complex structure where fundamental work is combined with applied activities, business evaluates results, managers look for partners and investors, lawyers and patent specialists protect intellectual property rights. In Russia and abroad, we are part of a collaboration of specialists in nanocomponents and nanomaterials, we have stable and reliable relations with leading foreign laboratories in the USA, Great Britain, Korea, Italy, Israel, Austria, Germany.